The all-tarmac Rallycross event of the German DRX series at the Gründautalring near Frankfurt saw Austrian Willy Salzgeber (SuperCars) and the two Germans Andreas Steffen (Super1600s) and Hans Kirchhof (SuperNationals) winning.
While their fellow-countrymen prefered to attend the home ERC round at Greinbach in Styria the two Austrian SuperCar drivers Willy Salzgeber (Ford Focus Mk1) and Willi Streitler (Nissan Sunny GTI-R) went to the German town of Gründau to take part in Round 2 of the German Rallycross Championship (DRX) at the all-tarmac Gründautalring near Frankfurt on the Main. [Note: Due to not enough mixed-surface tracks available the German ASN DMSB allows Rallycross events to be driven on courses with either 100% tarmac or 100% loose surface also.] However, it was only Ford campaigner Salzgeber who became successful in Hesse, eventually winning the A final from make colleague Bernd Wilhelm in another first series Ford Focus. Bernd Schomaker had to retire his Škoda Fabia Mk1 in adopted Hedström Motorsport livery after the first A final start attempt, having been involved in a hefty crash together with the Focus driver from the neighbouring country.
In the Super1600s category Andreas Steffen (Škoda Fabia Mk2) was able to snatch the victory away from double ERC champion Sven Seeliger (Ford Fiesta Mk6), third place went to Dutchman Henk van de Warrenburg (Opel Corsa C). Among the SuperNationals veteran Rallycrosser Hans Kirchhof powered his impressive Porsche 911 GT3 to yet another victory, runner-up here became Jan-Philipp Kappler with his VW Golf of the third generation, leaving the last place on the rostrum to Dane Ole Bech (Peugeot 306 S16).
- FINAL RESULTS SUPERCARS:
- 1. Willy Salzgeber (A) Ford Focus Mk1
- 2. Bernd Wilhelm (D) Ford Focus Mk1
- 3. Bernd Schomaker (D) Škoda Fabia Mk1
- 4. Norbert Fuchs (D) Audi 80 B4 quattro
- FINAL RESULTS SUPER1600S:
- 1. Andreas Steffen (D) Škoda Fabia Mk2
- 2. Sven Seeliger (D) Ford Fiesta Mk6
- 3. Henk van de Warrenburg (NL) Opel Corsa C
- 4. Nils Völkel (D) VW Polo Mk3/6N2
- FINAL RESULTS SUPERNATIONALS/TOURINGCARS:
- 1. Hans Kirchhof (D) Porsche 911 GT3
- 2. Jan-Philipp Kappler (D) VW Golf Mk3
- 3. Ole Bech (DK) Peugeot 306 S16
- 4. Igor Gabecs (LV) BMW E36
- 5. Marco Wittkowski (D) VW Golf Mk3
- 6. Markus Schmitt (D) Citroën C2
- 7. Swen Grupe (D) VW Golf Mk2
- 8. Markus Ruppel (D) Ford Escort Mk7